Studies show meditation helps you relax and focus your attention. The Law Library is hosting a series of meditation study breaks this week and during finals period. The U.Va. Mindfulness Center is guiding the first study break meditation this Wednesday (April 23), at 3:45 in the Law Library’s Klaus Room (second floor). No sign-up necessary, just come on by.
The finals period meditation study breaks will be in the Library’s first floor Oasis Room (the McBeal group study room near the Caplin Reading Room). The Oasis Room will be available throughout finals period (starting this Friday) as a space for you to retreat away from your books, outlining, and papers. It will have meditation cushions, yoga mats, and guided meditation CDs to help you take some deep breaths, relax, and re-focus.
All are welcome to the meditation study breaks, no sign-up necessary, just come on by. Here’s a schedule:
- Mindful minute study-break: Focus your study energy. Studies show meditation improves memory and focuses attention. Start your finals period with a 10-minute guided meditation in the Oasis Room on the Library’s first floor. Fri., April 25, 3:30pm.
- Mindful minute study-break: Beach, rainforest, open fields . . . anywhere but here! Want to get away from the outlining, the practice exams, the research paper footnotes? Travel around the world in a 10-minute meditation on restful nature sounds. Library, first floor Oasis Room, Mon., April 28, 3:30pm.
- Mindful minute study-break: Exercise your right to relax! Congratulations First-Years – you’ve checked constitutional law off your list for the semester. Rejuvenate in the Library’s first floor Oasis Room with a 10-minute guided relaxation meditation. Wed., April 30, 11am.
- Mindful minute study-break: Stop and smell the flowers. Spies Garden is in full bloom, the perfect place to spend 15 minutes to reconnect with the smells, colors, sounds, and warm feel of Spring. Meet in the Oasis Room on the Library’s first floor and we’ll head to the courtyard for a short walking meditation. Fri., May 2, 3:30pm.
- Mindful minute study-break: Tea and Sympathy. If this homestretch of finals period is feeling like Mile 22 of a marathon, show yourself some compassion and come commiserate with others in the Oasis Room. We’ll listen to a 10-minute guided meditation on being kind to yourself. Free iced tea & cookies, too! Tues., May 6, 3:30pm.
– Kristin Glover